Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 17: The Shoes that Saved the World

I have to work out tonight.  I haven't been running since Wednesday thanks to my bum hip.

On Sunday I hiked (by car) across town to Fleet Feet in Uptown.  Fleet Feet is a specialty running store that provides a gait analysis and fits a shoe to a runner's physiological needs to maximize efficiency and minimize stress injury.  After taking several sitting and standing measurements of my foot they put me on a treadmill to watch my gait as I jogged.  According to the man assisting me, my feet - my left one especially - rolls inward as I run, and is likely at least a part of the pain I'm experiencing in my left hip and knee. 


Their solution:  the Brooks Addiction 8 with support inserts (on top of a well balanced cross-training regiemen).  Behold:



If you're thinking it looks a little clunky, you're right - it is.  But I like to think of the sign Fleet Feet has on their wall:


Don't judge a book by its cover.

Don't choose a shoe by its color.


They asked me to get on the treadmill again with these shoes and said that the shoe and insert greatly improve my gait while jogging.   Now, there's something to be said about this store: they're not medical professionals.  They're salesmen.  I probably would have gotten a more in depth analysis from an exercise fitness lab.  But this gait analysis was free, and the shoes weren't horribly expensive ($100, plus about $30 for the inserts).  I was expecting this for good, quality running shoes.  Per the suggestion of others, once I find a model shoe that works for me, I can buy them where ever I want - likely cheaper.  I've already found them cheaper online from Zappos. 


If I need to, I will seek out a more profession opinion on my gait, but hopefully these shoes will help me on my way to a 5K. 



So tonight, despite being achey, it's back to the gym.  That's two more off the list: 




19.        Obtain a gait analysis. (Karen) 




20.        Obtain running shoes based on said gait analysis. (Karen)


 

1 comment:

  1. I have the same shoes! They're not the sexiest in the world, but I haven't had any foot problems since I've been wearing them, which is saying something!

    ReplyDelete