Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 32: This makes me sad...

One of the things we discussed in our Technology in Adult Education course a few terms ago was the effect the internet has on cyber interpersonal communication.  Being behind a computer screen and hidden from the world makes people bold.  They say things they wouldn't say in person.  One of the benfits, though, is that it also allows people to choose their words carefully.  They can type what they want to say, then go back and edit words or phrases that may not come off as they intended.



I bring this up because of an issue I encountered on one of the message boards I frequent.  Being a new pet owner, I've begun lurking on the Nest.com's Pets board. These women LOVE their animals with a ferocity most people attribute to religion, politics, or tv shows.  I don't want to start drama with these girls, because it's drama that I'm not going to win.  They think they're being logical; I think I'm being logical... no one's opinion is going to be changed by a confrontation.  But I really feel very strongly about something I came across on the board. 

Last night I came across the following post:

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/31089974.aspx

The original poster was posting pictures of her new puppy, a mini Shar Pei, which is absolutely adorable.
Some background for those of you who don't know, the Pet board is really against BYBs (back yard breeders) and puppy mills, and they essentially say that anyone getting a dog in any other way than adopting is contributing to the dog overpopulation.  They are very against terms like "Puggle" (Pug/Beagle mix), "Cockapoo" (Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix), etc., because they argue giving a mutt a name like that makes them come off as an actual breed when they're not.  This in turn will cause people to seek out these "breeds" from back yard breeders and puppy mills, who charge a ridiculous amount of money for these "designer breeds." 

Now, I completely understand what they're saying, and I myself have stopped using the term "Puggle" to describe Miss Pugsly for that very reason.  But when the poster in the original message decided to share her joy about her new dog, her mini Shar Pei, she got razzed for it because mini Shar Peis are not an AKC recognized breed.  She got it from a BYB, probably paid a lot of money for it, and some of the Pet girls really just brought out the snark for her.

Now, imagine this person's joy over her new puppy and wanting to share it with the fellow pet people on the board.  Imagine getting crap for getting a new dog... I feel terrible for her.  The dog is adorable, and I'm glad that it's in a happy home.

There are times and places to bring up controversial issues like that.  I kind of equate what some of those girls were saying to seeing a new baby for the first time, and saying "It's cute... too bad it's illegitimate...." or "Cute baby... too bad it's biracial...." or something horrid like that.

If they disagree with her decision or frown upon the original poster's "lack of research," that's fine.  I can't control their thoughts.  But I would like to think that even on internet boards, people could embrace a little tact.  I swear... the internet brings out the worst in people.

That's just my two cents.  I really hope this doesn't end up on the Pet board.

No comments:

Post a Comment